fbpx
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

COVID-19

Authors retract influential Lancet article that found hydroxychloroquine risks

A pharmacy tech holds a bottle and a pill of Hydroxychloroquine at Rock Canyon Pharmacy in Provo, Utah, on May 20, 2020. - US President Donald Trump announced May 18 he has been taking hydroxychloroquine for almost two weeks as a preventative measure against COVID-19. (Photo by GEORGE FREY / AFP) (Photo by GEORGE FREY/AFP via Getty Images)

By Michael Erman

NEW YORK (Reuters) – An influential medical journal article that found hydroxychloroquine increased the risk of death in COVID-19 patients was retracted on Thursday, adding to the controversy around a drug championed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Three of the authors of the article retracted it, citing concerns about the quality and veracity of data in the study.

The anti-malarial drug has been controversial in part due to support from Trump, as well as implications of the study published in British medical journal the Lancet last month, which led several COVID-19 studies to be halted.

The three authors said Surgisphere, the company that provided the data, would not transfer the dataset for an independent review and that they “can no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources.”

The fourth author of the study, Dr. Sapan Desai, the chief executive of Surgisphere, declined to comment on the retraction.

“When you have reputable journals that put this kind of work out and are retracted 10 days later, it just increases mistrust,” said Dr. Walid Gellad, a professor at University of Pittsburgh’s medical school. “It just adds fuel to the fire of this controversy around hydroxychloroquine … It’s the last thing we needed with this particular drug.”

Another study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that relied on Surgisphere data and shared the same lead author, Harvard Medical School Professor Mandeep Mehra, was also retracted for the same reason.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The observational study published in the Lancet on May 22 said it looked at 96,000 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, some treated with the decades-old malaria drug. It claimed that those treated with hydroxychloroquine or the related chloroquine had higher risk of death and heart rhythm problems than patients who were not given the medicines.

The World Health Organization, which paused hydroxychloroquine trials after The Lancet study was released, said on Wednesday it was ready to resume trials, and dozens of other trials have resumed or are in process.

“I did not do enough to ensure that the data source was appropriate for this use,” the study’s lead author, Harvard Medical School Professor Mandeep Mehra, said in a statement. “For that, and for all the disruptions – both directly and indirectly – I am truly sorry.”

Many scientists voiced concern about the study, which had already been corrected last week to reflect that some of the location data was wrong. Nearly 150 doctors signed an open letter to the Lancet calling the article’s conclusions into question and asking to make public the peer review comments that preceded publication.

NewIssues Magazine
Written By

NewIssues Magazine is a monthly magazine based in Abuja, with a widely reach daily online news stories and analysis. We are ALWAYS in the HEART of NEWS

COVID-19 UPDATES

COVID-19

By George Onmonya Daniel  Boss Mustapha’s Taskforce on Covid 19 is gradually falling apart. This is because nobody is listening to them and complying...

Advertisement

Facebook

Trending Today

Nigeria

By George Onmonya Daniel Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, also known as the Shi’ites who have been protesting in Abuja to demand...

ANALYSIS

By Aliyu Maina Senator Kashim Shettima, Senator Abubakar Kyari, Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume are all senators from Borno state. I believe they are very...

NEWS

Major General Lamidi Adeosun, the Chief of Training and Operations of the Nigerian Army has been promoted to Lt. General. There is all indication...

POLITICS

IDespite condemnation from some Nigerians over the attack on Senator Ekwerenmadu in Germany where he went to attend a Yam festival, a lot of...

ANALYSIS

By George Onmonya Daniel  Late last year, to be precise, in December, NEWISSUES conducted a poll in which we asked people all over Northern...

featured

Most of us (bloggers) are non-professionals. That’s why organizations like CDD are training fact-checkers to tame the fake news merchants. Such a training is...

featured

US based Professor Farooq Kperogi has revealed that he got information that Buhari’s Special Adviser and son of his nephew, Sabiu “Tunde” Yusuf, has amassed...

NEWS

The man who was seen in a video who attempted to grab the president was shot, Daily Trust confirmed. Afterwards he was whisked to...

Nigeria

Mr. Eeben Barlow, South African military contractor, who’s company was sub-contracted to find the Chibok girls by the Goodluck Jonathan government, has told Aljazeera...

POLITICS

Senator Dino Melaye has declared his intention to run for the office of the governor of Kogi State. Mr. Dino Melaye told elders of...

featured

Few weeks ago NEWISSUES Magazine did an analysis on the five worst governors in Northern Nigeria. Today we are going to look at the...

NEWS

There has been rumor of the president divorcing his wife and planning to marry an old flame since Aisha Buhari left Nigeria.  By George...