fbpx
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

SPORTS

Mario Balotelli ‘sacked by Brescia’ as Massimo Cellino orders contract to be terminated

Former Liverpool and Man City star Balotelli only joined Brescia on a three-year deal in August but has frustrated Cellino due to his persistent absence from training

Notorious football bad boy Mario Balotelli looks to be on the verge of the sack from current club Brescia.

The Italian forward, 29, is onto his eighth club having struggled to settle at any of his former employers for more than a few seasons.

But local reports suggest Brescia owner Massimo Cellino has already had enough of the star, who only joined the club last August.

Ex-Leeds chief Cellino is said to have written to Balotelli requesting for his contract with Brescia to be terminated.

Balotelli still has over two years of his three-year deal left to run, but Cellino has been irked by the striker persistently missing training.

Brescia have been preparing for the Serie A restart, but Balotelli has been missing in action, as he has failed to turn up to several sessions.

His contract with the club includes a break clause at the end of this season if Brescia are relegated, which looks likely, given they are nine points adrift from safety at the foot of the table.

Cellino has now decided to activate the clause early, perhaps in a bid to cut costs amid the coronavirus, and has already been working through the situation with Balotelli’s lawyers.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Brescia owner Massimo Cellino has decided to terminate Balotelli’s contract (Image: Getty Images)

Gazzetta dello Sport are one of the publications who state that the former Liverpool and Man City star’s contract will be terminated with immediate effect.

Both parties have already reached a financial settlement, leaving Balotelli free to join another club once the transfer window reopens.

Turkish side Galatasaray have been linked with his signature, as well as Brazilian outfit Vasco da Gama, while a potential switch to the MLS could be on the cards.

Whether any clubs are prepared to take a risk on Balotelli remains to be seen though.

His stint at Brescia is the latest in a long line of failed spells in his career.

Balotelli has made 19 appearances this season, scoring five times, but had already frustrated club bosses as early as January after missing 10 training sessions that month.

Cellino called a meeting on May 29 after Balotelli missed two recent sessions – one of which was non-mandatory – and the owner has since suggested it was best for Balotelli to move on.

“I think we both made a mistake,’ Cellino told the BBC’s World Football programme.

“I thought that coming to Brescia, which is his town, would commit him very much.

“At the same time, I think he was handled the wrong way by my previous coach [Eugenio Corini].

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

NewIssues Magazine
Written By

NewIssues Magazine is a monthly magazine based in Abuja, with a widely reach daily online news stories and analysis. We are ALWAYS in the HEART of NEWS

COVID-19 UPDATES

COVID-19

By George Onmonya Daniel  Boss Mustapha’s Taskforce on Covid 19 is gradually falling apart. This is because nobody is listening to them and complying...

Advertisement

Facebook

Trending Today

Nigeria

By George Onmonya Daniel Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, also known as the Shi’ites who have been protesting in Abuja to demand...

ANALYSIS

By Aliyu Maina Senator Kashim Shettima, Senator Abubakar Kyari, Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume are all senators from Borno state. I believe they are very...

NEWS

Major General Lamidi Adeosun, the Chief of Training and Operations of the Nigerian Army has been promoted to Lt. General. There is all indication...

POLITICS

IDespite condemnation from some Nigerians over the attack on Senator Ekwerenmadu in Germany where he went to attend a Yam festival, a lot of...

ANALYSIS

By George Onmonya Daniel  Late last year, to be precise, in December, NEWISSUES conducted a poll in which we asked people all over Northern...

featured

Most of us (bloggers) are non-professionals. That’s why organizations like CDD are training fact-checkers to tame the fake news merchants. Such a training is...

featured

US based Professor Farooq Kperogi has revealed that he got information that Buhari’s Special Adviser and son of his nephew, Sabiu “Tunde” Yusuf, has amassed...

NEWS

The man who was seen in a video who attempted to grab the president was shot, Daily Trust confirmed. Afterwards he was whisked to...

Nigeria

Mr. Eeben Barlow, South African military contractor, who’s company was sub-contracted to find the Chibok girls by the Goodluck Jonathan government, has told Aljazeera...

POLITICS

Senator Dino Melaye has declared his intention to run for the office of the governor of Kogi State. Mr. Dino Melaye told elders of...

featured

Few weeks ago NEWISSUES Magazine did an analysis on the five worst governors in Northern Nigeria. Today we are going to look at the...

NEWS

There has been rumor of the president divorcing his wife and planning to marry an old flame since Aisha Buhari left Nigeria.  By George...